Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Scapeshift has shifted the meta.

GP Oakland is less than a month away and I'm still shaky on what I want to play. With scapeshift becoming much larger in the meta my plan to run Sullivan Special seems nearly pointless. Without a first turn ascension scapeshift more or less outraces me by a turn. And even with bloodchief going active at the end of my second turn on the play scapeshift still has cryptic command and into the roil main by that point its nearly impossible to recover.

After reviewing a few articles the census says that dark depths is by far the worst match up for scapeshift. And low and behold the past couple of extended dailies on MTGO have dark depths 4-0, and Gerry Thompson wins the online PTQ on Sunday.

There are 2 different versions, the thopter foundry/sword of the meek hybrid that GT piloted, and the traditional version that runs vendillion cliques, both seem viable. My only concern is that the meta will shift yet again prior to Oakland, with some nasty incarnation tuned to beat dark depths. What that is exactly is yet to be seen. I will be proxying me up some 20 dollar man lands and begin testing hoping to find "paper" or to start examining the mirror.

1 comment:

  1. And look what won today's extended trail on ML.
    http://www.magic-league.com/deck/58144/extended_t1x.html

    ReplyDelete