Wednesday, March 10, 2010

GP Oakland: Part 3: Day 1 (Part 1 of 2)

My list was more or less Gerry's version from channel fireball's newsletter -1 Extripate main for a duress. I liked being able to turn 1 thoughtseize into turn 2 extripate, without having it in my opening it felt like a dead card pre-board. The extripate went into the board as an answer to scapeshift, usually forcing them to have to draw into rude awakening. Before I go further on choices...

MAIN
* 4 Dark Confidant
* 4 Vampire Hexmage
* 4 Thoughtseize
* 4 Muddle the Mixture
* 4 Thirst for Knowledge
* 3 Thopter Foundry
* 2 Sword of the Meek
* 1 Engineered Explosives
* 2 Beseech the Queen
* 2 Duress
* 3 Repeal
* 4 Chrome Mox
* 4 River of Tears
* 4 Sunken Ruins
* 4 Dark Depths
* 4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
* 3 Island
* 1 Swamp
* 3 Tolaria West
* 1 Academy Ruins

Sideboard

* 1 Slaughter Pact
* 1 Echoing Truth
* 3 Deathmark
* 2 Sower of Temptation
* 4 Leyline of the Void
* 1 Duress
* 1 Dark Blast
* 1 Chalice of the Void
* 1 Extripate

The third tolarian west was crucial as reseting the combo and tutoring for ee or ruins made or broke games. And the basic land 2-2 was changed to 3-1 to help reach the double blue. For the board 4 leylines were an obvious answer to dread and thopter, so the extripate would of been overkill to say the least. Dark Blast for elves which got alot of attention the week prior. Chalice for hypergen, living end, elves, anything where 1 or 0 would do more harm to my opponent than me. Echoing truth was more of a hurkyl's recall that could do more than just shut down a wave a thopter tokens. Deathmark, slaughter pact, and sower's for zoo. Sower for the mirror as well. The Duress was more of anti-sideboard sideboard card.

Prior to signing up I went over to the channelfireball booth to go pick up a free t-shirt that they were offering when you purchased $20 worth of merchandise. The motivation behind it was that if you were in a feature match or if you won and wrote an article you would get paid. I got some dice and a binder. I had trouble trying to figure out what else to get, and then I saw the box of future sight, I saw it as a free gamble at goyf so I bought 3. I don't remember what was in the first 2, but the over priced creature himself came out of pack 3. It was mine for all of 2 minutes as I sold it back to them for 65. Looking back at that now since goyf's over inflated price dropped back down, it was a good decision. Seating went up for introductions. And the first of many mobs of people at different corners of the building began.

No comments:

Post a Comment